Dotemu Wants To Make Games Based on Terminator, Conan, And Other Nostalgic Action Franchises

There have been many Indiana Jones and Terminator games over the years, few of them being any good. This makes them an ideal target for retro publisher Dotemu, which has recently found success reviving franchises such as Streets of Rage with modern sequels, and was acquired by Focus Home Interactive earlier today.

"I think that it would be interesting to explore classic movies like, I don't know, Indiana Jones, Terminator... the kind of stuff that never really had their very cool retro game back in the days — it was always promotional games and there were usually not that good," Dotemu CEO Cyrille Imbert tells IGN. "And Conan, for example, I love Conan. I'd love to do a Conan game."

While Imbert is only throwing out hypothetical possibilities, his examples shed some light on Dotemu's thinking going forward. It speaks to the potential to tap into a rich vein of nostalgia from the '80s and '90s, in effect giving Dotemu the opportunity to create the licensed game we dreamed of playing when we were kids.

A good Gremlins 2: The New Batch game? Yes, please.

It's worth noting that there has been at least one good Indiana Jones game. That would be Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, which was made during the heyday of LucasArts' adventure game renaissance. Wolfenstein developer MachineGames is also in the process of making a new Indiana Jones game, so that franchise at least should be well-covered.

As for Dotemu, it is currently focused on Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Shredder's Revenge, a true successor to the classic TMNT beat 'em ups, and Metal Slug Tactics, which will reframe SNK's gorgeous action shooters as a tactics series. It has mostly focused on revitalizing retro franchises with a particular focus on pixel art, but Imbert doesn't discount the possibility of tackling 2000s nostalgia, which has been on the rise for some time now.

"We've covered a lot of games from the '80s and '90s, but there are some games from the early 2000s with the first 3D games that have aged pretty badly, but they're still awesome games, so I think there's a lot of potential, and we've seen that with Shadow of the Colossus, Resident Evil, with Spyro or [Crash Bandicoot] or whatever," Imbert says. "I think that that will be another way of working on that, but it's just another scale and we've never done that. So it will take a bit of time, but maybe we'll get to that as well."

Whatever happens, Dotemu has settled into a strong retro niche — a niche that could eventually be expanded in many different directions. In the meantime, stay tuned as we take a closer look at Metal Slug Tactics in an interview that will be published later today.

Kat Bailey is a Senior News Editor at IGN.

Source