George Miller Criticizes 2015's Mad Max Game, Developer Responds With Heated Messages

Mad Max director George Miller wants Metal Gear designer Hideo Kojima to make a Mad Max game, and he also sounded off on 2015's Mad Max game and why he didn't love it.

Speaking to Gaming Bible, the Australian filmmaker said Kojima would be a top choice of his to make a Mad Max game, though he said he "would never ask him" because Kojima already has so much "fantastic stuff in his own head" that keeps him busy.

Miller also spoke candidly about 2015's Mad Max game from Just Cause studio Avalanche. He said plainly, "It wasn't as good as I wanted it to be." Upon reflection after that game came out, Miller said, "I'm one of those people that I'd rather not do something unless you can do it at the highest level."

George Miller revealed he wants @HIDEO_KOJIMA_EN to make a Mad Max game🤯@Kojima_Hideo pic.twitter.com/o8mDdSAkFs

— GAMINGbible (@gamingbible) May 20, 2024

2015's Mad Max was a tie-in of sorts with Miller's Mad Max: Fury Road, and Miller said his team gave "all our material" to Avalanche to make the game. GameSpot's Mad Max review scored the game a 6/10. Reviewer Peter Brown said, "Mad Max is too focused on providing you with an open-world that's filled with missions, and not focused enough on making those missions worth your time."

Former Avalanche boss Christofer Sundberg reacted to Miller's comments on social media. He said the game suffered from releasing at a "terrible" time, and his efforts to convince Warner Bros. to move the date were not successful. The game released on the same day as Metal Gear Solid V, and Sundberg reflected that Warner Bros. "blamed us for the bad sales" and canceled DLC for the game that was "just sitting there waiting to be released."

Sundberg added that Avalanche pitched an open-world Mad Max game but was forced to convert the experience to be more linear in structure.

"We threw away a year of work and got to hear that 'players want autonomy in this day and age.' Well, no shit," he said. "I'm sure Hideo Kojima would make an awesome Mad Max game, but it would be a completely different experience."

In other Mad Max news, Furiosa: A Mad Max Saga comes to theaters on May 24. It stars Anya Taylor-Joy as Furiosa and is a prequel set before the events of Fury Road.

Source