Legacy Of Kain: Soul Reaver Is Making A Comeback, But It's Not What You Think It Is

• Thread starter Darryn Bonthuys
  • Start date
There's some good news for Legacy of Kain fans this week, as for the first time in decades, the series is getting some new material. A graphic novel titled Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver - The Dead Shall Rise has been announced, and it'll serve as a prequel to the games starring Raziel. It's not a new game or a remake of the classic titles, but something is better than nothing.

An official collaboration between Crystal Dynamics and Bit Bot Media, the Soul Reaver graphic novel will reveal more info about Raziel's past, his days as a Sarafan warrior, and how he came to serve under Kain as a vampire. The book will be written by Joshua Viola (True Believer) and Angie Hodapp (Shadow Atlas), with art by Juan Samu (Star Wars), letters by Jeremiah Lambert, and covers by Dave Rapoza and Aaron Lovett.

"In college, I created a Soul Reaver poster for a class project, never imagining I would one day officially contribute to the franchise," Viola said in a statement (via IGN). "Even today, Raziel graces my tattoo sleeve--a testament to my deep connection with this universe. Fans can expect a project infused with that same passion. Working directly with creatives from Crystal Dynamics and reuniting with former collaborators makes this a truly special endeavor."

The Soul Reaver graphic novel will launch on Kickstarter later this year, and anyone interested can sign up on BackerKit to be informed when the crowdfunding campaign goes live.

Beyond this upcoming journey back to Nosgoth, things seem quiet for the Legacy of Kain franchise currently. The IP rights are currently held by Embracer Group, and in October 2022, over 100,000 people completed a Legacy of Kain survey. According to Crystal Dynamics, fans were heard "loudly and clearly" about their desire to see the franchise return in some form.

The last true entry in the series, Defiance, was released 20 years ago in 2003, and Crystal Dynamics is currently co-developing a Perfect Dark reboot with Microsoft studio The Initiative. The studio is also working on a new Tomb Raider game that'll be published by Amazon.

Source